Friday, October 17, 2008

1st Train Ride


We got up at 6:00 a.m. I wanted to make it as close as possible to how it will be when the boys go to school. It was still dark out. The train was leaving at 6:56 and we left the hotel at 6:30. We had to walk up a hill that is very steep and pushing Kate in her stroller was a workout!!!! It was a cold morning but my head was dripping with sweat by the time we reached the train station. Kate kept asking me if I was crying.
We made the train and thought this isn't so bad. As we go along we couldn't see a thing out the windows. Then we saw the rain. I packed the only 2 umbrellas that we brought with us on the airplane but we didn't have our warm raincoats on. I knew then we were in trouble.
We walked around the boys' school real quick. The school is on Fall Holiday until the 27th of October. We finished some paperwork and decided to go back to Bern to walk around. It's only a 5 minute ride but Kate informs me she has to use a restroom. Well there is one on the train but I didn't want to miss the stop. We made it to the station but I forgot you have to pay 1 Fr. I found my change and we ran in. I have to say their restrooms were probably cleaner than mine.

We made it outside and it was sprinkling. I thought maybe it will clear up. We walked 1 block and took the above picture. It started to rain harder and that was the end of our sightseeing. So we went back to the station and caught the next train back to Neuchatel which was leaving in 10 minutes. We ran up to the platform and hopped on the train.


It doesn't end there. Before each stop they announce the name of the station. Well, we got to one station and they said quite a few sentences all in French. I thought that was odd but didn't instantly do anything. Then I asked an older gentleman if "this train to Neuchatel" with hand movements. He looks at me shaking his head and pointing to the front of the train and going a mile a minute in French. So we grab everything and hop off the train. The train had separated and the front half was leaving us and heading to Neuchatel. It's amazing what can be communicated with hand gestures and tone of voice! So we learned a very important lesson - Trains can break apart and go in different directions. Also, Read the sign on the outside of the train car! We ended up catching the next train a half hour later.


Ending on a Good note - Air shipment arrived and the boys had a great time riding their scooters in the rain and Kate playing with her dolls. We made some good Hot chocolate with Marshmallows!

2 comments:

Ellen and Sharon said...

Our hearts were beating faster and faster while reading your post. We are sure the boys will do fine, but we know you will try that trip again next week. Where are Kate's glasses?? Everyone looks happy. God bless you all.

Unknown said...

I'll have to tell you about the time my daughter, Erin, and I took the train from Milan, Italy (after the end of the Coronado H.S. orchestra trip to Italy) up to Vienna to see the family. We needed to change trains in Venice. I kept waiting for the name "Venice" to be announced. The train finally stopped and people were getting off before the train continued on elsewhere. I finally asked a fellow passenger when we'd get to Venice. He said this was the stop...(Venice, of course, is on an island...a big "duh" on my part...Well, you never saw us move so fast, plus we were carrying Erin's cello with us! It was nerve-wracking and we barely got off in time. I know just how you must have felt! It'll get easier. I'm enjoying your blogs, Crista. We all miss you! Susan Eastman