Thursday, August 26, 2010

Road Construction Nightmare

This posting is dedicated to my friends - the Taylor Family and the Yee Family who have moved back to the United States. I have finally decided to voice my daily nightmare on the blog!
Let me just say this - Neuchatel is very good about providing job opportunities for their citizens. Sometimes I feel they create road problems just so there is another road construction project to keep everyone employed. I have heard that funds are scarce but I would never know that by the amount of times they have dug up this road.
This is the roundabout right before I get to Katelyn's school. I am waiting at the temporary stop light because it is only one way thru the round about. Parking has pretty much disappeared. Everyone use to park where that yellow building is by the trees or on the road to the right. However, that is all closed. Now we all fight for a spot in a lot belonging to an apartment complex. There is about 6 spaces where we can legally park for 15 minutes.
There was a parking lot up the road in the woods where about 12 cars could easily park. On the first day of school I drove into that lot and found it completely gone. Trees had been planted. There was one little spot where 2 cars could park but that has since changed because now there is a construction dumpster in that spot:)
There are at least 3 of these temporary stoplights along this road and the road that joins it at the roundabout. This construction has been going on for at least a year and a half or more. In that time, some parts of the road have been dug up at least 3 times. It is all within a 1/2 mile radius.
It is so crazy that it has become quite comical to me except for the days I can't find a parking space:) I just always have pictured Switzerland as a place that is always peaceful and efficient. I have been proven that it is just like the rest of the world and they have their own problems too.

1 comment:

Swiss Family Taylor said...

Wow. I sure am glad that I don't have to deal with this. What little I did was enough. Payton's new school is drive up, boot 'em out the door to the staff and drive away! I never have to get out of the car. Very nice on rainy days. In the afternoon I drive up and he climbs in.